Lean Construction Management
Foresighted, collaborative, dependable
We stick to deadlines. To achieve this, we have to pull out all the stops ‒ but not at the same time. By applying Lean Construction Management on site, we uncover waste step by step and eliminate it. Therefore, we achieve impressive results: Trouble-free installation processes, optimised execution quality and higher deadline and cost reliability are just a few of them.
Great work begins with great plans ‒ thus, we ensure that our plans are always made in collaboration with all involved clients, planners and contractors during a joint planning session taking place a few weeks before construction starts. With the start of assembly, a continuous cycle with well thought-out process steps begins ‒ this is coordinated to the complexity of the construction task, the upstream and downstream trades, the time specifications as well as the logistical, spatial and other framework conditions. To regularly monitor the project progress, we always start our weeks with prewievs and daily cycle meetings. Thanks to clear structures, value-added-oriented processes and efficient cycle planning, we create the best conditions for the site team to focus on their work and achieve outstanding results.
- holistic examination of planning and implementation processes
- ligned working structure across all trades throughout the entire construction process
- identification and prevention of waste
- continuous improvement process during the construction project
- forward-looking project management according to the Last Planner® System for an efficient construction site management
- continuous support by trained lean consultants
- many years of experience and corresponding successes
- up to 97.2 % less defects on the construction site
- up to 83.6 % less last-minute, necessary changes
- up to 30.8 % reduction in construction time
- up to 97.8 % less obstructions and concerns during the construction phase
- support with sound and broad know-how
- monitoring of the joint planning session at the beginning of the construction project with all participants
- visualisation of the construction process
- weekly previews and daily cycle meetings
- management of site logistics, deadlines, budget and quality
- support from planning to billing
- kick-off meeting for general introduction about Lean Construction Management including own training based on a hotel simulation
- on-site consultation with the construction team
Building Hand in Hand
The prejudice that construction site management is always analogue and follows the same (sometimes chaotic) pattern has long been outdated ‒ nowadays, construction management can definitely be agile, collaborative and digital. Therefore, we apply the so-called Lean Management ‒ first used in the automotive industry ‒ to the construction industry: Lean Construction Management stands for a closely timed, efficient construction process in collaboration with all stakeholders.
What is Lean Management?
In a nutshell, Lean Management aims to create sustainable value and avoid waste. Of course, the customer is the focus of attention: expectations should not only be met, but even exceeded. Therefore, the entire construction coordination is optimised: from planning to implementation and utilisation to recycling. This minimises project risks and ensures that the project goal is achieved quickly. For us, the main focus is on innovative and at the same time resource-saving construction.
How does Lean Construction Management work at Lindner?
1. Kick-off Meeting
Lean Construction Management involves all stakeholders from the very beginning: Maximum transparency and communication are the keywords! Experienced experts explain the basics and advantages of Lean Management in construction to our customers.
2. Planning Sessions
Together with the client, planners and contractors, we work out the basics of the construction project ‒ including resource planning, cycle planning and cycle control. According to the so-called “Pull Planning”, the project is rolled up from the back to the front: Together we determine the milestones and separate the construction site into individual sub-areas ‒ also called "lot sizes". According to the Last Planner® method, we decide on day-specific schedules for achieving the project goals and allocating the corresponding resources.
3. Cycle Meeting on the Construction Site
Subsequently, the determined construction schedule is implemented into reality. In order to observe and analyse the project progress, we hold weekly reviews and daily cycle meetings. There, we recognise which goals have already been achieved and then set the next steps. This allows flexibility for necessary adjustments and thus guarantees a continuous improvement process: disruptions are quickly identified and rectified in time. Therefore, we offer maximum cost and schedule security ‒ right up to the turnkey handover of the construction project.
What distinguishes Lean Construction Management at Lindner?
Many years of experience, intensive cooperation, regular coordination, individual concepts and modern planning tools – this also includes our specially developed planning and controlling software: The software gives us a condensed overview of all trades and activities to be carried out and facilitates construction phase planning, trade planning and project planning. This results in numerous advantages not only for us, but also for our customers:
- simple project planning
- lively and agile project management
- transparent collaboration
- dynamic evaluation in real time (including new KPIs)
Where have we already applied Lean Construction Management?
In lots of our projects ‒ including the DIN building located in Berlin: the headquarters of the German Institute for Standardisation (Deutsches Institut für Normung e. V.) not only received a complete renovation, but also a new working environment. Thanks to Lean Construction Management, the area of approximately 20,000 m² was equipped with modern and colour-coordinated workplaces in only 19 months. Therefore, the entire process organisation ran completely smoothly.